How many files do you have in Tabbles?2012-07-05T05:30:30+00:00

Home Forums General discussion How many files do you have in Tabbles?

  • Author
    Posts
  • Andrea
    Keymaster
    Post count: 894

    Ladies and gentlemen,

    we’re getting ready to release a free "lite" version of Tabbles: the lite will probably be fully functional and have only a limitation to how many files you can tag.

    Therefore we’re looking for a limit that is not to low so that people tell "hey, this is not free, this is a joke!" and not to high as if someone is using Tabbles a lot (therefore has a fat db) then they should also buy a license.

    Now, how can you see how many files you have tagged with Tabbles?
    1) double click on the tabble "Tagged", the one with the Tabblee icon (in the picture…maybe it’s name is "used with Tabbles")
    2) read the number in the top right.

    I have 5600, Maurizio has 25.000. :mrgreen:

    _______________________
    Wanna know more?

    The reflection behind this is that:
    1) Tabbles doesn’t give immediate benefits for the users: you need to catalog all your files first
    2) the leaning curve can be steep: it does lots of new things
    3) 30 days are maybe not enough… in general time limits are bad for such a kind of app
    4) plus, the fact that you need to spend a lot of time to appreciate it and then you need to pay for it, can discourage a lot of people from spending time with it…

    So basically we’re switching from trialware to Freemium, hoping that we’ll make money with corporate customers as soon as we have the "shared tags feature".

    Attached files

    how_many_files_in_tabbles.png (76.1 KB)

  • mrdna
    Participant
    Post count: 220

    2570 tabbled files. About right considering I add a minimum of 40 or so daily since I started using Tabbles.

  • Andrea
    Keymaster
    Post count: 894

    Thanks a lot mrdna!

    I guess you’re currently the highest authority in terms of "how many files".
    What we’re looking for is a limit that doesn’t discourage casual users and makes hardcore users want to purchase a license… therefore something around 5000 files sounds fair, isn’t it?
    Maurizio is thinking about allowing max 5000 generic files or 1000 docs/pdf/xls + 4000 files… it does make sense actually as if you’re using Tabbles for docs, then 1000 is already a lot… what do you think? 🙂

  • mrdna
    Participant
    Post count: 220

    "Andrea" wrote: Thanks a lot mrdna!

    I guess you’re currently the highest authority in terms of "how many files".
    What we’re looking for is a limit that doesn’t discourage casual users and makes hardcore users want to purchase a license… therefore something around 5000 files sounds fair, isn’t it?
    Maurizio is thinking about allowing max 5000 generic files or 1000 docs/pdf/xls + 4000 files… it does make sense actually as if you’re using Tabbles for docs, then 1000 is already a lot… what do you think? 🙂

    I think you’re being generous… The vast majority of my files are URL links with pdfs a far second place. I use url links (rather than Tabbles internal internet address ability) because I gather most of the links on a machine without Tabbles. It seems to me that that would fall under the generic files catagory. I would also venture that I don’t have more than 5000 pictures, let alone 1000.

    With a target market of business users I’d think that 1000 docx/xlsx/pdf means you’re shooting at medium and larger biz as a smaller biz wouldn’t hit the limit for a while, and then only if they were tracking individual transaction data.

    I think you’re pretty much giving it away to the home user though. The casual user isn’t going to hit either of those limits in most applications I’d think.

    I know you’re mainly looking to the biz market for sales, but I think the casual user market could be quite lucrative, possibly moreso than biz when counting individual licensing. I’ll have to put something together to give you a better idea of why I think that, but it involves some program features that shouldn’t be very high on the todo list right now and, to be honest, I haven’t polished my ideas enough to warrent bothering Maurizio and you with them. (You guys got better things to do atm)

    Were I to set numbers I’d put them nearer to 500 with only jpgs higher (possibly 1000). Self generated docs/xls/etc hit the limit sooner (a couple months as opposed to -several- months). The reason for jpgs being higher is that it’s the standard output for digital cameras and gives home users breathing room to get used to Tabbles using their picture collection.

    (quick thoughts, apologies. at work. poss more later as I think more)

  • Andrea
    Keymaster
    Post count: 894

    sure mrdna, makes a lot of sense. Maurizio is thinking of weighing file types differently, I agree but I’d rather keep things on the easy side.

    Me personally, I have some 25k pics, and the 5600 files I have tabbled are only related to Tabbles itself 😐

    any more input would be highy appreciated! 😀

    Thanks,

    A.

  • inf2know
    Participant
    Post count: 17

    Do not like being a Practicalist, but the request on how many files in Tabbles and the instructions on how to obtain the number indicate why the use of Tabbles MUST require freeware for some time. The learning curve (even for experienced people like me) is VERY STEEP, Here is a VERY Current example:

    This topic begins with a "simple" request, How many files in Tabbles. BUT a small picture included and the instructions:
    1) double click on the tabble "Tagged", the one with the Tabblee icon (in the picture…maybe it’s name is "used with Tabbles") 2) read the number in the top right."
    Above indicates an small example of THE MAJOR learning curve challenge.

    It is important to remember that almost ALL users and potential users of Tabbles (me included) have been raised on explorer or equivalent. Personally I use powerdesk + other utilities like treesize and windir to provide SIMPLE "management" of my files. The learning curve on these products was close to zero.

    The videos were a big help, but the user interface and simple information and intuitive navigation will be the key to user acceptance and THEN the $ will follow.

    I have NO problem with a file limit (Maybe a folder limit would be better).
    I like the limit idea but what is a Tabble definition of a file?

    If it includes the htm(s) and associated files in the folder then the number better be large. On the usability point, If I could define to tabbles (SIMPLY), a filter that says ONLY include the HTML file and not the subfolder and its files then the number would be MUCH smaller.

    Related is the the following about a file called xxx.html and the related folder xxx(and its sub files).
    IF I "move" the xxx.html FILE (not the folder) than the file is moved with its subfolder. If I rename xxx.html to bbb.html then the xxx folder is no longer associated with the html.

    Hope this helps.
    [email protected]

    I just ran TreeSize Free and it reports on the simple run that I have 249,289 in my downloaded software folder and
    295,954 in my "critical" files folder.

    The problem with this "number" is that there are thousands of htm or similar type "files" that are associated with sub folders and there is a lot of "junk" inside.

    For example a "file" called downloads.html (The Download Tabbles 1.3.8) page is 33,046 bytes, HOWEVER the "subfolder and associated files add 35 more files for an additional 362kb)

  • Andrea
    Keymaster
    Post count: 894

    hello bob,

    thanks for your feedback, much appreciated,

    "inf2know" wrote: Do not like being a Practicalist, but the request on how many files in Tabbles and the instructions on how to obtain the number indicate why the use of Tabbles MUST require freeware for some time. The learning curve (even for experienced people like me) is VERY STEEP, Here is a VERY Current example:

    This topic begins with a "simple" request, How many files in Tabbles. BUT a small picture included and the instructions:
    1) double click on the tabble "Tagged", the one with the Tabblee icon (in the picture…maybe it’s name is "used with Tabbles") 2) read the number in the top right."
    Above indicates an small example of THE MAJOR learning curve challenge.

    Yes, we totally agree on this. Making a free-limited version is our next move.

    "inf2know" wrote:
    It is important to remember that almost ALL users and potential users of Tabbles (me included) have been raised on explorer or equivalent. Personally I use powerdesk + other utilities like treesize and windir to provide SIMPLE "management" of my files. The learning curve on these products was close to zero.

    The videos were a big help, but the user interface and simple information and intuitive navigation will be the key to user acceptance and THEN the $ will follow.

    I have NO problem with a file limit (Maybe a folder limit would be better).
    I like the limit idea but what is a Tabble definition of a file?

    If it includes the htm(s) and associated files in the folder then the number better be large. On the usability point, If I could define to tabbles (SIMPLY), a filter that says ONLY include the HTML file and not the subfolder and its files then the number would be MUCH smaller.

    Ok, what is "large" for you? I mean: we need a number that is large enough not to discourage people but that would be a good needle to tell a casual users from one who is getting the best out of Tabbles.

    "inf2know" wrote:
    Related is the the following about a file called xxx.html and the related folder xxx(and its sub files).
    IF I "move" the xxx.html FILE (not the folder) than the file is moved with its subfolder. If I rename xxx.html to bbb.html then the xxx folder is no longer associated with the html.

    it seems to me that this is a problem related to Explorer, isn’t it? This is a "smart" explorer behaviour, something it tries to do cause it "thinks" they’re part of a group… what is the implication for Tabbles?

    "inf2know" wrote:
    Hope this helps.
    [email protected]

    I just ran TreeSize Free and it reports on the simple run that I have 249,289 in my downloaded software folder and
    295,954 in my "critical" files folder.

    The problem with this "number" is that there are thousands of htm or similar type "files" that are associated with sub folders and there is a lot of "junk" inside.

    For example a "file" called downloads.html (The Download Tabbles 1.3.8) page is 33,046 bytes, HOWEVER the "subfolder and associated files add 35 more files for an additional 362kb)

    Yes, I know your problem. We’ll see if we can implement a a filter of some sort, but no promises here! 🙂

    A.

  • Andrea
    Keymaster
    Post count: 894

    Little update:

    Previously (on Battlestar Galactica :mrgreen: ) we were thinking of releasing a version with a limit in the number of files the user could tag…

    Now we’re thinking of a version that counts the files in the db, and when the count reaches a certain value (let’s say 3000) it starts showing a nag-screen… the screen is showed every some minutes and possibly it comes out more often as the file count goes up. Tabbles will still be 100% usable, apart from the nag-screen. (yes, it’s the Winzip recipe)

    Comments?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use technology (including cookies) to collect, use and transfer information to support this Site, including for data analytics purposes, as described in this Site's updated Privacy Policy. Your continued use of the Site signifies your acceptance of such cookies. To learn more about how to manage your cookie settings and how to exercise your rights under GDPR please see our Privacy Policy

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close