Home Forums General discussion 1.3.0 is out! – and gt; 1.3.1. – and gt; 1.3.2 – and gt; 1.3.3 — and gt; 1.3.9

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Ok guys, we thought this would have been a minor release, but it isn’t: it’s packed with new features and a lot of things were fixed/improved.

Enjoy! ๐Ÿ˜€

• mrdna
      Participant

First Look at 1.3.0

To download Tabbles 1.3.0 go here. (both 32 and 64-bit versions)
      To download a quick command reference go here or find it on the Wiki here.

If you haven’t used Tabbles before:

Browse around at https://www.tabbles.net/en/tabbles.html. Andrea has put together a great page on how and what the program can do for you. Were I to try and compress it into a single sentance; Tabbles is my everything tagging document/picture/link/file manager/organizer/finder idea generator. (left a few things out cuz I was running out of breath there…)

You can create just about any system of tagging/file management you can think of and it’s unlikely you’ll do it the same way twice.

If you have used Tabbles before:

The step between ver 1.2.0 is huge; Lightened file window, the unlink panel became the twin of the quick link panel, menu bar/button/right click commands were refined a bit. The file window lost the menu button (duplicated file menu cmds). A huge update is that the link and unlink panels now show the filename and linked tabbles of the file you’re working with! (only when a single file is selected) I imagine there will be many more improvements to the link and unlink panels in future releases and this upgrade is an excellent start on that.

The big story was the addition of auto-tagging rules! (under edit menu) The user can now define how a file is tagged based on it’s location, filename or even filetype. Explorer integration has continued to be expanded and besides the ability to right click tag a file in explorer you can locate the file in Tabbles. (and vice-versa) Additionally, when moving files in explorer Tabbles will pop-up to ask if you want to work more with the file’s tabbles and rules.

The auto-tagging rules feature has been improved and refined well since it showed up in the beta release and from the beginning it was a powerhouse of a feature. Future improvements will take it from merely awesome to brilliant.

As always, the interface remains beautiful and fast. The search boxes in the main window or file window are lightning fast and screen re-draws are pretty snappy. The program uses a bit of RAM, but considering all it’s doing it isn’t too bad.

Maurizio has put out another excellent release. (be sure to toss some karma his way.)

• Andrea
      Keymaster

EXCELLENT!

Thanks a lot mrdna, I did put a link here on the wiki main page

• mrdna
      Participant

oooooooo…. Just saw an extra goody go by…

Have had the program open for an hour or so (doing some testing) and this little pop-up popped up saying Tabbles was working in the background… Hmmm… I didn’t recall setting it on some herculean task to need background time. Turns out Tabbles was making sure the auto-tagging rules were being followed and it picked up and tagged files that had been added/moved when it was not loaded! Very nice!

I couldn’t find an on/off toggle for it, nor a way to rescan manually. On the to-do list? ๐Ÿ™‚

Cool feature.

• Andrea
      Keymaster

"mrdna" wrote: oooooooo…. Just saw an extra goody go by…

Have had the program open for an hour or so (doing some testing) and this little pop-up popped up saying Tabbles was working in the background… Hmmm… I didn’t recall setting it on some herculean task to need background time. Turns out Tabbles was making sure the auto-tagging rules were being followed and it picked up and tagged files that had been added/moved when it was not loaded! Very nice!

I couldn’t find an on/off toggle for it, nor a way to rescan manually. On the to-do list? ๐Ÿ™‚

Cool feature.

hey mrdna,

not 100% sure about this! What I know is that the cataloging part is in a separated thread and that is used for any tagging operation… but I’m not sure there is a piece of code that wakes up time to time and re-checks the folders… we need to ask this to Maurizio ๐Ÿ™‚

• Maurizio
      Participant

"mrdna" wrote: oooooooo…. Just saw an extra goody go by…

Cool feature.

Hi mdrna,

Currently, Tabbles only does what you say when you move a folder. More precisely: if you move folder F1 into folder F2, and F2 has a rule which adds tabble T, then Tabbles starts a background task to attach tabble T to folder F1 and all its content.

So, could it be you had just moved a folder?

• mrdna
      Participant

No, I was messing about in Tabbles and Firefox. Had explorer open but minimized. When I opened the little pop-up it said it was applying my rules to drive c: (which I thought was a bit odd, but…). When it was done it had applied my existing rules correctly. No new rule showed up.

Is the program perhaps supposed to rescan when it’s first booted?

• Maurizio
      Participant

"mrdna" wrote: No, I was messing about in Tabbles and Firefox. Had explorer open but minimized. When I opened the little pop-up it said it was applying my rules to drive c: (which I thought was a bit odd, but…). When it was done it had applied my existing rules correctly. No new rule showed up.

Is the program perhaps supposed to rescan when it’s first booted?

To drive C: ? I’m very surprised. I really don’t understand…

at least do you have a rule on folder C:? (If not, I’m jumping out the window.)

No, tabbles does not (yet) rescan at startup.

well, if it happens again, and you have some clue, I’d appreciate if you’d let me know.

• mrdna
      Participant

Not the window, Maurizio! Bridges are better to jump from…

No, don’t have a rule that applies to drive c: (all rules are on rather deep subdirs). Will let you know if it decides to rescan on it’s own again.

Between this and the odd crashes we can’t pin down I think I’ll bite the bullet and do a clean install of W7 within the next week or so and see if that doesn’t clear that up. All else on my system seems to run perfectly. (although the printer went completely dead last night. Perhaps my computer is going evil on me…)

And here I was all happy. :sniff:

• Maurizio
      Participant

I jumped but I survived because of the balcony.

As for your crash after opening the quick-tag many times, I can only tell you that I’m reading a book about debugging to get some clue.

• mrdna
      Participant

"Maurizio" wrote: I jumped but I survived because of the balcony.

As for your crash after opening the quick-tag many times, I can only tell you that I’m reading a book about debugging to get some clue.

Hope there wasn’t any patio furniture out there. Falling on that could hurt.

If you find any way I can generate logs or better info let me know. The info in the crash box appears pretty consistent, but I don’t know what I’m looking at nor know enough to know where to look to find out.

• Andrea
      Keymaster

Hello everybody,

guys, my apologies if we’re not very present here at the moment… in case you didn’t realize, we’re already at full regime and we’re not doing anything else than Tabbles, eating and sleeping (and sleeping is the thing we’re probably giving up the most).

Something interesting, I should be posting this on the blog maybe (oh, wtf, I’ll just link the blog to this) is that yesterday a russian blogger fellow found our offer (Tabbles business free from bloggers), wrote us, blogged about it and since then our traffic did triplicate and 7 other bloggers (all from the same blog) wrote us claiming their licenses…and some of them blogged about it… very interesting phenomenon.

After a conversation with one of those bloggers (pretty smart guy actually) about software prices in Russia, I had the idea of creating a "fair price campaign", you can read about it here: https://www.tabbles.net/en/buy.html.

Does it make sense? Let’s see.

If you’re curious to see those blogs writing about us, you find them among our delicious bookmarks (from grazr)

Now we’re focusing on making Tabbles stable again… plus: anyone is using/loving/hating the auto-tagging and one-click tagging features?

see ya,

Andrea

• mrdna
      Participant

"Andrea" wrote:
      ….

After a conversation with one of those bloggers (pretty smart guy actually) about software prices in Russia, I had the idea of creating a "fair price campaign", you can read about it here: https://www.tabbles.net/en/buy.html.

Does it make sense? Let’s see.

….

Now we’re focusing on making Tabbles stable again… plus: anyone is using/loving/hating the auto-tagging and one-click tagging features?

see ya,

Andrea

The fair price thing looks nice, but which list do you have to be below 30 on? IMF, WB, factbook? An average? Actually they’re pretty comparable so I guess it doesn’t matter. ๐Ÿ™‚

The auto-tagging is working quite well! Saving me alot of work. Haven’t started playing with rules based on filename yet, but dir rules are great. I use the ‘locate in tabbles’ rt click (as well as the loc in explorer) and they do fine. A couple oddities I noticed; In Explorer when you locate in Tabbles you will get a file window for each dir. If you locate a 2nd file in the same dir the focus moves to the new file. In Tabbles, when you locate in Explorer it opens a new window for every file you locate. Also, the new Explorer windows that are spawned do not have the Tabbles right click commands listed. Can’t bounce back and forth.

I see that’s your 200th post Andrea! Was hoping that you got an extra bubble like we users do and go from DEV to DEVO… :mrgreen:

• Andrea
      Keymaster

We’ve just found one more bug in the installer ๐Ÿ˜ฅ ๐Ÿ˜ฅ ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

basically the 1.3.2 and 1.3.3 don’t install the shell extension… can you see the Tabbles’ icons when you right click in the windows explorer?

thanks,

A.

• nefycee
      Participant

nope … 1.3.4 ! ๐Ÿ˜†

• mrdna
      Participant

If I open WinExp via My Computer or a folder that’s on the desktop, then yes, the right-click options are there. When Tabbles spawns a WinExp window (locate in…) then no, they aren’t there.

• Andrea
      Keymaster

"mrdna" wrote: If I open WinExp via My Computer or a folder that’s on the desktop, then yes, the right-click options are there. When Tabbles spawns a WinExp window (locate in…) then no, they aren’t there.

ok, this is good news: what we thought is that with the latest 2, the dll putting the 2 icons in WinExp (from a folder) wasn’t registered… but it looks like it is.
      (the menu inside Tabbles doesn’t have those 2 icons at all, but the function is there, correct? This is how it’s supposed to be.)

• mrdna
      Participant

"Maurizio" wrote: I jumped but I survived because of the balcony.

Crash hasn’t occured for a few days (since installing 1.3.3). I do notice a bit of a ‘catch-up’ on re-draws now and again and think it may have been puking there. Will update Mantis, fwiw…

Appreciate you keeping an eye on it Maurizio.

• Maurizio
      Participant

"mrdna" wrote: If I open WinExp via My Computer or a folder that’s on the desktop, then yes, the right-click options are there. When Tabbles spawns a WinExp window (locate in…) then no, they aren’t there.

I’ve added this to the todo, but I have no idea what could cause it. Let’s see if it happens in 1.3.4, probably out today.

• Andrea
      Keymaster

1.3.9 is now out:

this is mostly a stabilty release… and this one will be uploaded on several websites ๐Ÿ™‚

• mrdna
      Participant

"Maurizio" wrote:

If I open WinExp via My Computer or a folder that’s on the desktop, then yes, the right-click options are there. When Tabbles spawns a WinExp window (locate in…) then no, they aren’t there.

I’ve added this to the todo, but I have no idea what could cause it. Let’s see if it happens in 1.3.4, probably out today.

Unchanged as of 1.3.9

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.